Thursday, March 11, 2010

Bag Space

I've read about scribes who use multiple alts to create glyph auctions due the vast quantity of ghyphs available ingame (four 32 slot inscription bags plus the backpack is not enough to hold one of each glyph.) I find that to be unnecessary; my approach is to craft only glyphs whose market value is currently greater than 10 gold, and to only craft one of each glyph. When the price of a glyph I have already made drops below 10 gold, I will continue to list the glyph for 1 copper less than the competition, but when that glyph sells, I will not create a replacement until the market value rises above 10 gold. That way, I can use the auction house as my storage, and handle my glyph auctions with just one character.

I find that a glyph costs around 3 gold to make, so to ensure that I would always make a profit, I started out by not selling glyphs that had dropped below three gold. However, I quickly discovered that my bags filled with worthless glyphs which had at one time been above 10 gold. It got in the way of emptying the mailbox, as I would often have less than 50 open bag spaces available. Gradually, I lowered the threshold (usually when my bags were full, so Quick Auctions would list more of those underpriced glyphs to get them out of my bags). One day, it dawned on me: I don't care if I lose three gold on a glyph. I'm in this market for the glyphs that cost three gold to make and sell for ten, even twenty times that much. When I make a glyph, I'm betting that it will sell before the market price drops below 3 gold, and most of the time, that bet pays off. When it doesn't, it's just the cost of doing business. I'll sell it for what I can get, and I won't craft another until the price goes back up. When I realized that I value my bag space more than the glyphs that were cluttering those bags, I dropped my glyph threshold to 1 copper. That's right, no threshold. Since then, my bags have been free and unfettered. On the subject of bag space and the absence of a threshold, I think Cosmo Kramer said it best: "Oh, it be so. I'm out there, Jerry, an' I'm lllovin' every minute of it!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment